Considering a Ph.D. Degree? Ask yourself these six questions:
1. Do I have a deep love for my chosen subject that will carry me through inevitable setbacks?
2. Am I intellectually curious – the sort of person who needs to know how things work, why they don’t work and how to make things better?
3. Am I comfortable marshaling arguments and defending my position and using critique to push myself to improve?
4. Can I work independently – but also in teams – to get things done?
5. Can I delay gratification for several years while classmates are getting well-paid jobs (with the payoff being that not only will I likely end up with a career that is more intellectually satisfying, but in the end I’ll make more money over my lifetime)?
6. Do I want to make the sorts of contributions that go well beyond individual interactions, even if the ultimate impact of my work may take years to recognize?
If you answered “yes” to all questions, we will be happy to discuss you joining the LESC group at UC San Diego!
Considering a Postdoctoral Position? Please consider the quote below:
Nothing Is Impossible. Impossible Only Takes Longer Time.
True Or False?
If you answered “true” to this question, we will be happy to discuss you joining the LESC group at UC San Diego!